Story: Harbour Tour
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 13 June 2021
Port Hedland is a remarkable place, and there is a great tour giving visitors the opportunity to head out onto the water to explore it.
- Port Hedland drives the nation’s economy, with the iron ore and salt industry providing the lifeblood of the Australian financial system.
- The Seafarer’s Tour, run by John Hague, takes visitors on a discovery tour of the harbour.
- The tour operates for and benefits the Seafarer’s Centre, a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to looking after the seafarer’s welfare.
- The cape sized vessels fill the harbour, with 10 departing each day full of 200,000 tonnes of iron ore. This tour takes you right up to the edge of the 25m exclusion zone.
- The proceeds from this tour go towards looking after the welfare of seafarers, and gives you a unique insight into a working mining harbour.
- John’s knowledge is outstanding, and the experience is in the top 10% of Trip Advisor tours.
For more information, head to