Series: Destination WA Series 10
Story: The Miners Pathway - Yalgoo
Presenter: Carmen Braidwood
Air Date: 13th December 2020
On the final leg of the Miners Pathway, Carmen explores the characterful, gold rush town of Yalgoo.
- The Courthouse Museum gives you a fantastic insight into what life was like in Yalgoo during the early 20th century.
- The museum is an artifact itself. It was built in 1904 and transported to Yalgoo from Cue in 1921 to replace the old stone courthouse that used to stand in its place.
- Yalgoo is home to the Mosignor Hawes Dominican Chapel of St Hyacinth, which was built by John Hawes.
- Hawes was a priest and a prolific architect who built 23 chapels and cathedrals around the Mid-West and Gascoyne regions.
- The Mosignor Hawes Dominican Chapel of St Hyacinth was originally built as a school for the local children.
- Joker’s Tunnel was created by miners who were searching for gold. Around 550 tons of rock was removed, and 3 kilograms of gold recovered.
For more information, head to