Story: Havana Jam
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
Air Date: 11 July 2021
Perth is buzzing with activities to cater to all interests. Chrissy heads into Northbridge for a night of free Salsa dancing at Havana Jam Tuesdays.
- New students are welcome to join each week at 7pm on Tuesdays for a free introductory salsa class.
- On average, 25-40 people attend the classes but there can be up to 75.
- The second-round classes offer a range of different levels to adhere to different abilities and each student can graduate or move through the levels at their own paces.
- The roots of salsa originated in Eastern Cuba from the Cuban Son (about 1920) and Afro-Cuban dance. There, Spanish and Afro-Cuban musical elements were combined, both in terms of rhythm and the instruments used.
- By mid-century, this music came to Havana where foreign influences were absorbed, particularly American jazz and popular music heard on the radio.