Story: Off-Road Exploring
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
Air Date: 20 June 2021
There are some beautiful areas of WA that can only be accessed via unsealed roads. It’s important when driving to know the steps to stay safe and Chrissy shows us how.
- Before taking on an off-roading trip, check your tyres have adequate grip.
- Drive during the day with your headlights turned on. This will make you more visible.
- Look out for roaming wildlife on the roadside, common on regional roads. If you see an animal on the road, slow down and sound your horn – do not swerve to avoid.
- When traveling on unsealed roads or exploring the outback or remote coastline, a well-equipped four-wheel drive (4WD) vehicle in good mechanical order is recommended.
- Once you leave the sealed road onto unsealed local roads, reduce speed and drive with care.
- Keep your car well serviced and before setting off, always walk around your vehicle to make sure everything is in order.
- Check road conditions and ensure you have enough water, first aid and spare tyres before your journey.
For more information: https://www.rsc.wa.gov.au/