Story: Water and Nature
Episode: Kimberley Special
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane and Carmen Braidwood
Air Date: 21 May 2021
The Kimberley is not the dry wasteland you may think it is! Kununurra is a water-based town, and there is no shortage of water activities to be enjoyed.
- Lily Creek Lagoon reserve is a popular birdwatching destination.
- Lake Kununurra and Lily Creek Lagoon are connected and have been designated as a wetland of international importance under the UNESCO Convention on Wetlands.
- The lagoon banks along Celebrity Tree Park. The Park was opened in 1984 and celebrities such as Sir Charles Court, HRH Princess Anne and Harry Butler have all planted trees here.
- Lily Creek Lagoon is a great spot to fish for some Silver Cobbler and Brim or, head out in a boat further onto Lake Kununurra.
- Triple J Tours enables visitors to explore the Ord River on a 55km journey. This is Australia’s longest continuous river cruise.
- Kununurra Cruises offer a sunset BBQ boat tour on Lake Kununurra.
For more information: https://www.australiasnorthwest.com/