Story: The Miners Pathway - Meekatharra
Presenter: Carmen Braidwood
Air Date: 29th November 2020
On her journey across the state’s golden outback, Carmen discovers the natural beauty of Meekatharra.
- There are couple of walking trails in town like the Meeka Creek trail, which is an easy 3km walk along the banks of the Meekatharra Creek.
- There’s numerous signs along the Meeka Creek trail detailing Meekatharra’s history and indigenous culture.
- The School of the Air has been a valuable contributor to the continued success of outback towns like Meekatharra.
- For more than 60 years, they’ve been educating the children of pastoralists, kangaroo shooters, farmers and even people in the tourism industry across the state.
- Only 3km out of town is Peace Gorge, which was once known as Devils Playground.
- A picnic was held there in 1919 to celebrate the end of WWI, earning the gorge its current name.
- There’s free camping at the gorge, making it popular with locals and tourists alike.
For more information, head to