Story: Quirky Kalgoorlie
Airdate 13 October 2019
Presenter: Quentin Long
Kalgoorlie is home to one of WA’s quirkiest gentleman’s clubs.
- When Paddy Hannan discovered gold in Kalgoorlie in 1893, it was a hot, dry place to seek your fortune. It didn’t take long for pubs to pop up, with one gentleman’s club standing the test of time.
- Established in 1896, the Hannan’s Club was built out of the stone quarried from the nearby Bullabulling. As most buildings back then were constructed from hessian, bush-wood and tin, it was an impressive sight.
- The verandas and grass provide a welcome relief from the heat, and inside, the art nouveau design takes you back 126 years.
- The club was established back when Kalgoorlie was a Wild West town, as a place for gentlemen to go and chew the fat. It was aimed at those with money, drawing them in for a nice cold drink.
- The founder of the Hannan’s Club, Willie Brookman, was head of a very successful syndicate. He later became the Lord Mayor of Perth.
- The library is home to very old books and encyclopaedias – these are originals and are unique to the club.
- The Club gets quite busy with functions and parties, particularly 21sts. There is something for everyone at the club.