Story: Gnomesville & Greendoor Wines
Airdate: 22nd September 2019
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Less than 2 hours outside of Perth, Ferguson Valley is home to picturesque farmland and one of WA’s strangest attractions.
- Gnomesville was started when someone placed a gnome in the hollow of a tree. When the tree died, more gnomes were placed there, with the amount growing and growing.
- There are now around 10,000 gnomes in the area.
- People come from around the world to deliver gnomes, and you can wander through entire villages of gnomes.
- The Ferguson Valley is full of fantastic B&B’s, restaurants and wineries, such as the fantastic Green Door Wines.
- Just 20 minutes east of Bunbury, the winery was opened in 2009 by Ash and Kath Keeffe. It is a small, boutique vineyard and winery, producing fruit of primarily Spanish and Italian origins.
- Green Door Wines focus on using grapes that suit their soils and climate. With beautiful days and cool nights, they are able to produce great fruit which goes on to make great, Spanish style wine.
- The food at the winery is simple but delicious, making use of as many local ingredients as possible. The wines can’t be found anywhere else, with only a limited quantity being produced. Sitting down with a grazing platter and glass of wine is the perfect way to enjoy your surroundings.