Story Title – Geraldton to Kalbarri, The Coral Coast Highway
Episode – 5, TX date: 11th August 19
Presenter – Carmen Braidwood
Carmen continues her road trip up the Coral Coast.
- There is a lot to see around Geraldton. It is a city steeped in history, in particular architectural history.
- Between 1919 and 1939, architect Monsignor John Cyril Hawes built more than 20 works across the WA mid-west.
- The St Francis Xavier Cathedral is a fine example of Signor Hawes work. In fact, his churches, cathedrals, chapels and hermitages are regarded as some of the greatest architectural works in the state.
- There are others you can check out during your road trip too. You will find Signor Hawes buildings in Northhampton, Mullewa, Morawa, Perenjori, Yalgoo and Carnarvon.
- Geraldton’s role in Australia’s war history is commemorated at the HMAS Sydney II memorial, on Mount Scott.
- The memorial opened in 2017, and includes a lookout to the wreck of the HMAS Sydney II, which was sunk during the war, taking with her 645 Australian Crew.
- 35km out of Geraldton the landscape changes again as we make a visit to Oakabella Homestead.
- Superbly located for views of Elephant Hill, Table Hill and the ancient gorge and waterfall of Oakabella Creek, this popular stopover has been classified by the National Trust. It is brimming with historical significance.
- Take a tour of the farm precincts, and enjoy the country kitchen where the homestead’s famous scones are served, along with breakfast, lunch and drinks.
- Oakabella Homestead offers a new Aussie Outback Bush tour, which includes dinner and all the information you need about the local bush tucker.
- The remainder of our drive to Kalbarri includes insta-worthy stops like the Pink Lake at Hutt Lagoon.
- The rugged Kalbarri coastline is the last stop for the day, and is the Coral Coast Highway at its glorious best.
Did you know that you can book special one-way drive packages with AVIS car rental between Perth and Exmouth for a huge reduction in relocation fees? For more information visit www.australiascoralcoast.com/page/fly-drive-coral-coast-highway