Story Title – Kalbarri National Park, The Coral Coast Highway
Episode – 5, TX date: 11th August 19
Presenter – Carmen Braidwood
Carmen discovers what the Kalbarri National Park has to offer, as she continues on her road trip up the Coral Coast Highway.
- At around the halfway point on the Coral Coast highway between Perth and Exmouth, Kalbarri and its towering cliffs are beautiful destinations in their own right.
- Rugged coastline meets natural bushland, and there are some truly remarkable land formations that rival some of Australia’s most iconic.
- By the time you make it this far, the coastline takes a dramatic turn, and here in the coastal parts of the National Park, there are a lot of easy and safe ways to explore the area.
- The towering cliffs plummet down to the ocean 100 meters below, and from the top you can spot native marine life, with whales and dolphins regular passers by.
- Be sure to watch for migrating whales from late June to November.
- The Natural Bridge and Island Rock are a short walk from the carpark, and is where you can enjoy stunning coastal views of the coastline and marine life. It is reminiscent of the Twelve Apostles on the East Coast.
- No tour of Kalbarri’s coastal National Parks is complete without a stroll between Mushroom Rock and the extremely picturesque Rainbow Valley.
- Immerse yourself in about 400 million years of natural history through the Kalbarri area, as you explore this area.
- As you work your way inland, you pass through the town of Kalbarri, located right on the mouth of the Murchison River. It is the perfect place to base yourself as you set about exploring the 1830 square kilometres of National Park.
- A little inland head to Hawk’s Head picnic area where you can access the edge of Kalbarri’s majestic Murchison River and visit a lookout above the river. The view of the Murchison River Gorge is amazing, and come next year a skywalk will make it even more thrilling.
- All of the attractions here in the Kalbarri National Park are easy to access, and when you choose to road trip you are your own tour guide, so you cans top and spend time wherever you choose. What can be better than that?
Did you know that you can book special one-way drive packages with AVIS car rental between Perth and Exmouth for a huge reduction in relocation fees? For more information visit www.australiascoralcoast.com/page/fly-drive-coral-coast-highway