Story: Avon Valley – York & Beverly
Airdate: Ep 1, 14 July 2019
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
York in the Avon Valley is a pretty easy little road trip out from Perth, why not make it a day trip or a mini break!
- Towards the end of Winter, the valley is filled with beautiful wild flowers, making for a stunning drive. And if you’re not going at this time, you still get miles and miles of beautiful rolling farm land.
- Make your first stop Beverley, a lovely art deco town filled with history.
- Stop in at the newly built Corner Stone building which houses the local visitors centre to learn about all the great things you can do in the area.
- Did you know the State’s first privately built airplane was constructed in Beverley? You can find out more information about it at the visitor’s centre.
- There are art galleries in the town which are definitely worth a look through, such as the Station Gallery which often has an artist in residence.
- Beverley has stunning street murals done by famous Australian artist: James Giddy.
- Beverley’s oldest building now houses the local History Museum. Make sure to ask them about some of their design features when you go in.
- Feeling hungry? Beverley has a great country bakery, where rumour has it, they have Royal-standard chocolate eclairs!
- The Freemasons Inn is the perfect pit stop to quench your thirst or stay a little bit longer in their beautiful refurbished building.
- York has old-fashioned streetscapes, quirky cafes and shops; it’s a great town for a weekend visit.
- Head to the Edwardian Town Hall which houses the visitor’s centre and is the biggest Town Hall in WA.
- Chrissy’s must-dos in York include: The Motor Museum & The Old York Courthouse.
- There are so many great things to do in the Avon Valley, head to their website for more information on events and happenings.