Segment: Rottnest Island.
Presenter: Christina Morrissy & Carmen Braidwood
TX Date: 17th February 19
Rottnest is more than just a Quokka selfie, visit one of the pristine bays or learn about the fascinating history of the island.
- Rottnest Island, Perth’s premier island getaway destination just 19km from the coast.
- Experience the new range of fabulous eateries, from great coffee and bites at The Lane Café, to sensational pizzas at Frankies and fine dining at Thompsons, and let’s not forget the great pub atmosphere at Hotel Rottnest.
- There always debates on the best way to see the island, with options such as bike hire, the bay seeker bus or even just by foot.
- Pedal and Flipper is the island bike hire facility and if you travel on Sealink you can be ahead of the pack and have your bike all pre-booked for you and jump in the Sealink VIP que on arrival at Pedal and flipper.
- If you are riding your bike around the island, remember it is compulsory to wear your helmet at all times and make sure you slip slop slap to avoid any unwanted sunburn.
- Why not ride up to Wadjemup lighthouse and take the stairs to the top, viewing out over 360 degree view of the island. Additionally, the bus can drop you off at the lighthouse bus stop.
- If you venture to the far end of the island known as West End, you can visit the New Zealand Fur Seal Coloney at Cathedral Rocks and peer out from the viewing platform as they dive in the water and bask in the sun.
- Remember to pack your snorkelling gear for a trip to Rotto and swim in many of the pristine bays. There are more than 400 species of fish waiting to be discovered at Rottnest, with 135 them being tropical thanks to the warm Leeuwin current.
- Walking distance from the ferry, a trip to Rottnest would not be complete without a swim a the Basin, a natural fish tank on the more protected side of the island.
- End your day with a meal and drink at Hotel Rottnest, a Rotto Icon. Sit, relax and watch the world go by as you plan your next day or trip to Rottnest.
- Rottnest has never been more accessible and what a great place to explore on your next day off or holiday.