Segment: Kalgoorlie Super Pit Tour
Presenter: Christina Morrissy
TX Date: 30th December 2018
Kalgoorlie Boulder is the home of the infamous Golden Mile, one of the richest mineral deposits in the world, and there is an exciting tour you have to check out when you’re in the area.
- There is only one tour company allowed into the famous Super Pit – The Super Pit Tour. The tour is operated by locals, many of whom have worked in the mining industry.
- The Boneyard is the holding place for old machinery with the potential for recycling. Everything at the Super Pit costs a lot of money – even the truck wheels cost $40,000 each.
- There are 40 huge trucks running at the Super Pit, taking just 10 minutes to descend the 600 metres to the bottom of the pit.
- The size of the pit is staggering. It extends 3.5km north to south, 1.6km east to west. There are 4000km of old mine shafts running through the Golden Mile, extending 700m beneath the floor of the pit.
- Each truck carries 259 tonnes of ore, amounting to just a golf balls worth of gold. To get the gold out of the rocks, they are taken to the crusher, before arriving at the mill. Here the rocks are broken down to a sludge and then back into a sand, with the gold being spun around.
- There is a tree that marks the spot where Paddy Hannan set up camp before finding the first bit of gold just 200m from his base.
Kalgoorlie Super Pit Tour
P: 1800 620 441