Title: Seals at West End
Broadcast: September 17th
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Another great thing about Rottnest Island, is that its waters are absolutely teeming with cute and cuddly fur seals. Trevor takes a look.
- Trevor meets up with Cass Grey, one of the island’s conservation officers, who’s responsible for the management of the conservation programs here on the island.
- According to her, there are about 10-80 seals here at any given moment, so you’re bound to see some all year round!
- Currently, there are 50 seals stationed here at the West End, part of the permanent colony that has been here since 2008.
- Cass explains that the seals aren’t actually waving at you, but rather are thermoregulating by using the air to stay cool.
- The seals spend half their time in the water, hunting small schooling fish, squid, octopus, and even sea birds. They spend the rest of their time up on the rocks, soaking up the sun.
- The seals are just one part of the plethora of things to see here during your stay at Rotto.
Rottnest Island Authority
P: (08) 9432 9317