Broadcast: 19th April
Presenter: Caty Price
Caty Price visits the Round House, Western Australia’s oldest public building.
- The Round House was the first permanent building built in the Swan River Colony. It was constructed in 1830 and was completed in 1831.
- The Round House was intended as a prison, it had eight cells and a jailer’s residence, opening onto a central courtyard.
- The Round House was used to house colonial and indigenous prisoners until 1866, when control of the Convict Establishment prison (Fremantle Prison) was transferred to the colony.
- The Round House served as a police lockup until 1900, when it became the living quarters for the chief constable and his family.
Contact: Fremantle Volunteer Heritage Guides – 08 9336 6897